Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Everly Brothers

Persia is standing on the linoleum floor in her stocking feet, in a lacy black slip, hair haphazardly set in rollers. She has been ironing--her black satin hostess's dress for the Golden Slipper Lounge--and there's a warm, familiar, comforting scent of ironing in the air, an odor both of damp and of the faintest scorch. On the radio, in voices like Kleenex dissolving in water, the Everly Brothers are singing, "All I Have To Do Is Dream."


When I want you in my arms,
When I want you and all your charms,
Whenever I want you, all I have to do is dream.

When I feel blue in the night
And I need you to hold me tight
Whenever I want you, all I have to do is dream.

I can make you mine, taste your lips of wine,
Anytime of night or day,
Only trouble is, gee whiz--
I'm dreamin' my life away!

I need you so that I could die
I love you so and that is why
Whenever I want you, all I have to do is dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment

M is for Margaret, who was swept out to sea...