Monday, March 2, 2009

Code Name: The Oracle
Music: The Brian Setzer Orchestra (Jump, Jive, n' Wail)
Mood: Bored
Time: 5:54pm
What I should be doing: Developing a Strong Character.
Quote of the Day: "I love you, Gloria!..er,...Like one loves the beach, or a good book, or the beach..."

This blog isn't/wasn't supposed to be a diary where I relate stupidities, like what I ate for breakfast (orange juice), etc. I'll try to get it back to where it was...which was...where? Aw, I don't know, now you got me all mixed-up.

I met an inspiration in the flesh today.
A retired NAVY woman.
She referenced me to the Defense Language Institute (DLI).

Also, last night, after I finished my painfully long blog post,
I stayed up till near 2am, and volunteered for a hundred causes.
Now the emails are starting to pour in from people who expect me to actually follow through with my aquiescence.
Not that I mind. I really want to get involved and start doing something.

The Children's Museum looks promising.
They are hosting "Superhero Saturday" in a few weeks, and want volunteers to help out. Silk Spectre coming right up! Haha

Alright, well, I am going......going......gone.

9 comments:

  1. By any chance is the Navy woman with the Defense Language Institute connection named Sandra? I have a friend out there who fits that description. Just wondering... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew! I struck up a conversation with her in line for check-out, she noticed what I was borrowing from the library, and questioned me about it. I didn't get her name.
    Was your friend out of the Navy due to disability?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure about the disability, but she was glad to get out of the Navy; she said she felt like a prisoner, and that she realized that she had lost her freedom once she enlisted. She studied Russian at the DLI, and she did like that. I don't know much about the DLI; can civilians study there? BTW, my daughter Emilie (she's 24) is a Latin teacher and loves languages; she's going to Yale this Summer to study Greek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! I'm planning on studying Arabic and perhaps Chinese. I have 3-4 years of Japanese behind me, 1 year of German, and 6 years of Latin. I think I could do well as a linguist.
    I think some civilians can study there if they are involved in the FBI or some other large government Bureau. I'm trying to get them to send me some information. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds really interesting! Kollin has studied Chinese for the past two years. Emilie's finishing a Master's degree in Latin; then she wants to study other languages and get a PhD in Linguistics. If you ever want to email her or talk to her let me know! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great! If you would give me her email address, I would greatly appreciate that! How does Kollin like Chinese?

    ReplyDelete
  7. He likes it quite a bit, but he's studying science classes for the most part now. Emilie's email address is:
    magistra05@gmail.com. She'd be happy to write to you! Is your birthday tomorrow? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it is! I'm going to be 18!
    And thank you for the address.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're welcome! May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

M is for Margaret, who was swept out to sea...